I found a recipe for roast beef sliders on Pinterest. Here is my own slight variation on the recipe. These sandwiches are really great. These are probably my fiance’s favorite thing that I make for dinner.
- 3-4 lb beef chuck roast
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 1 envelope Italian dressing mix
- 1 envelope French onion soup mix
- 1 cup of water
- 8 oz jar of Pace Original Mild Picante Sauce
- 12 Hawaiian rolls
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Shredded Swiss cheese
- Place roast in crock pot (picture above shows a 1/2 of recipe).
- Whisk together water, brown gravy mix, Italian dressing mix, and French onion soup mix. Pour over roast.
- Pour jar of Picante sauce over roast.
- Cook the roast on low for 6-8 hours.
Caramelized Onion Directions:
- Add butter and olive oil to large skillet. Warm pan over medium-high heat.
- While the pan is warming, peel the onion and cut it into slices.
- The pan will be ready when the oil shimmers.
- Place the onions into the pan. Stir to cover onions with oil and butter. Cook for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and sugar. Reduce heat to medium. Continue to cook and stir. The onions will go from from opaque and rigid to translucent and ductile.
- As the onions start to turn brown, you may have to stir more often. If the onions start to get too dry, add more oil. Remove the onions from heat when they reach a rich, dark brown color. This should take about 1/2 an hour from the time you started cooking.
- Cut the Hawaiian rolls in half.
- Cut the roast into chunks. Place on the rolls.
- Spoon the sauce from the roast on top of the meat.
- Place caramelized onions on top of the meat.
- Top the onions with Swiss cheese.