Emery Beanie

This post adds to my summer of baby hats.  (See:  Elmo Inspired Baby Hat, Chappy Newsboy Caps, and Lacey Summer Baby Cap.)  The Emery Beanie pattern is a free pattern on Ravelry.  This hat crocheted up quickly with an adorable flower accent.  I only increased up to 40 stitches in circumference because the hat was being made for a sweet preemie baby girl.

Wenaas Hat

Difficulty:  Moderate

Time Required:  1 Movies

Overall Experience:  Excellent

Advertisements

Lacey Summer Baby Cap

As mentioned in my previous post, I have a lot of friends who have had babies lately.  Next up:  the Halas.  The Halas have an awesome adoption story that I would not do justice.  Check out the story on their blog.  I simply made a hat for their beautiful baby girl, Evie.

I recently purchased a new book, Luxury Yarn One-Skein Wonders, and wanted to make something out of it.  I combined Alpaca and Silk Baby Cap with the flower from Angora Baby Bunny Cap.  I also added some pearl details to the flower.  It turned out so precious!

IMG_2638

IMG_2639

Difficulty:  Moderate

Time Required:  One movie

Overall Experience:  Excellent

 

Burlap Roses

Shortly after Craig and I were engaged in December, one of my bridesmaids decided to throw us an engagement party.  The location she chose already had a rustic feel, so she wanted to go with the burlap and mason jar theme so popular on Pinterest.  I had pinned some burlap roses some time ago that I really wanted to try to make.  My original pin didn’t include a tutorial, so I went searching for a tutorial and found a great one on Snug as a Bug Baby’s blog.  The blog entry show step by step instructions for making beautiful burlap roses.  Each step even includes a picture for clarity.  If you choose to make these roses, here are my tips and suggestions:

  1. I didn’t actually know where to buy burlap since this was my first burlap craft project.  (I use it in concrete applications for research projects somewhat often.)  I discovered that you can buy it fairly cheap at Lowe’s or Home Depot.  This is very low quality, bulk burlap.  I ended up using this as the tablecloth at the party.  At JoAnn Fabric, I found all different colors of burlap and even burlap with different designs.  I picked up small amounts of several different types for decorating at the party.
  2. This project makes a huge mess.  You end up with burlap “strings” everywhere.  Be prepared to deal with that when you are finished.  It also smells like burlap.
  3. The tutorial does not explicitly say that you need to hot glue every petal.  It says to glue where needed.  Since hot glue does flow through the petals, I thought I might be able to get by with gluing every other petal.  This was a mistake.  Glue every petal.  Glue liberally.
  4. In the project, the crafter cuts strips of burlap.  Burlap ribbon is a thing (although I’ve never used it).  It might be worth trying the ribbon.  This would result in less mess and cleaner looking flowers.  I for one kind of like the “strings” coming off of the raw edge of the roses.  They add to the rustic feel.

This is once again a project I decided to do before the blog idea came into my head or I would have posted more pictures.  I love the way the flowers turned out.  The were a big hit at the party.  Many people came up to our table at the restaurant and asked where we got them.  The official restaurant photographer even took a picture of them and added it to the restaurant’s Facebook page!  After the party, I put all of the flowers in one mason jar and keep them on the coffee table in my living room.

Difficulty:  Easy

Time Required:  2 Movies

Overall Experience:  Good

Here are a few pictures of the party itself.  I love how the decorations turned out!