Purple and Gold Multiplicity

I decided to knit a Multiplicity purse for my sister since I loved mine so much. (See my posts about Multiplicity 1 and Multiplicity 2 for the others I made.) I chose a royal purple and mustard yellow, a play on her school colors of purple and gold. The only thing I didn’t like about mine is that it didn’t close. I knit button holes into the main pocket this time and loved the product!



Difficulty: Moderate

Time Required: 12 Movies

Overall Experience: Excellent

Advertisements

Multiplicity

I finished my Multiplicity purse this afternoon, and I love it!  The purse is knit using double knit, which I had been wanting to learn for some time.  The technique is interesting because one creates a double sided fabric by knitting one stitch from one side then one stitch from the other.  The stitches from both sides are alternating on one set of needles.  In the case of this purse, the fabric was grey with yellow details on one side and yellow with grey details on the other.  The purse features a large main pocket that folds over a smaller pocket.  I purchased the leather strap from Homestead Heirlooms.

20140417-122223.jpg

20140417-122304.jpg

20140417-122340.jpg

Difficulty:  Moderate

Time Required:  12 Movies

Overall Experience:  Excellent

Saturday Night Purse

In addition to the Celtic Love Knot Scarf, I also made a purse for my friend Jenny’s fundraiser for her mission trip to Kenya.  I found this beautiful purse on cogknition’s site.  The pattern is freely available on the site.

Unfortunately, I did not have time before the auction to try to get the beautiful custom handles and leaves.  Instead, I was forced to purchase plain black bamboo handles from my local JoAnn. For the purse itself, I had a very difficult time achieving the crisp herringbone pattern shown in the picture.  The pattern is achieved by slipping some stitches from the left to right needle while holding the yarn in front of the stitches.  The purse is knit very tightly so that it is quite sturdy; however, I had a tendency to hold the yarn too tightly resulting in a non-existent herringbone pattern.  I ripped out my first attempt and started placing an extra needle under the yarn as I passed it in front of the stitches.  This helped, but the needle wasn’t big enough.  I ended up placing an extremely large (size N, 10mm) crocheting hook under the yarn as I passed the yarn in front of the stitches.  This process slowed me down, but I did achieve a herringbone pattern.  My pattern was still not as crisp as that shown in the picture.  Also, since I didn’t have the fancy leaves to put behind the roses, I didn’t think the knitted roses really looked like roses.  I substituted this Megan Mill’s crocheted rose instead.  Either I didn’t count right while making the rose, or the pattern had a problem.  It wasn’t necessary for the pattern to be exact, so I didn’t go back to see why I didn’t have the correct number of stitches left as I reached the end of Row 3.  I finished off and sewed the rose onto the front of the purse.

The purse turned out beautifully.  It is quite sturdy and both larger and heavier than it appears.  The knitted section of the purse ended up being about 8 in. tall and 10 in. wide.

Saturday Night Purse

Difficulty:  Moderate

The purse was constructed of a modified stockinette stitch, so the stitching wasn’t difficult.  The herringbone pattern was difficult to achieve as noted above.

Time Required:  8 movies

I didn’t like how the pattern was turning out, so I repeatedly knitted and ripped out stitches.  It would have taken less time if I hadn’t ripped out so much.

Overall Experience:  Good

The purse turned out really cute and sturdy.  I would make it again.